Can chiropractic care help during my pregnancy and birth?
Of course it can!
Pregnancy changes a woman’s body at an incredibly rapid rate and in no way is it easy on the body, regardless of how beautiful it is.
Here is a list of the major changes your body will go through:
• Release of a hormone called relaxin which allows for relaxation and loosening of the ligaments in order to make more room for your baby
• Tight and tender muscles which may result in a suboptimal environment for your baby to grow and develop leading to less room for the expanding uterus as well as more pull on joints of the low back and pelvis creating misalignment and dysfunction
• Tight and tender muscles in the legs (adductors and hamstrings) causing increased pull/tension on the pelvis, especially on the pubis symphysis, which may manifest as pubic pain, dysfunction, and misalignment
• Lower rib cage pain and dysfunction due to growing baby expanding up into the bottom of your rib cage
• Tight, tender, and dysfunctional upper back and neck from milk production and increased breast weight
• Poor posture, headaches, difficulty breathing, aches and pains from excess weight on the front of the body
There are many joints in the low back and pelvis (lumbar facet joints, lumbosacral joint, sacroiliac joints, pubis symphysis, and hip joints) which all take on an increased load during pregnancy. This often results in joint misalignment and restriction which may lead to inflammation, pain, irritation of surrounding muscles, and sometimes even nerve irritation too! Inadequate alignment of the joints and soft tissues of the pelvis may affect the position of your baby as well.
When your reproductive environment is out of whack, your baby may not be able to move into the most optimal positioning for birth. Chiropractic adjustments can help realign joints of the low back and pelvis to help create the best environment possible for your baby.